Making empanada dough is not as hard as it sounds, especially if you have a food processor, and even if you don’t it is still pretty easy because the dough should not be overworked and requires minimal kneading. Also, these days it is very easy to find the empanada discs already made (frozen) in Latin grocery store, and even though I was skeptical at first they are actually quite good, but it also always fun to have them homemade and you can also customize the dough by adding spices, herbs, etc that will complement or contrast with the fillings.
Ingredients for 15 medium size or 25 small empanada discs:
3 cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
6 oz unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), cold and cut into 12 pieces
4-5 tbs water
- Mix the flour and salt in a food processor.
- Add the butter, egg and water until a clumpy dough forms.
- Form a ball and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a thin sheet and cut out round disc shapes for empanadas (use round molds or a small plate).
- Use immediately or store in the refrigerator or freezer to use later.
Some empanada filling recipes: