If my kitchen was a restaurant this garden salad would be the house salad. This is the everyday salad that we have at least a few times a week. It is also the same salad that both my mother and grandmother will make if you are having a regular meal at their home. Sometimes other veggies such as radishes, cucumbers, carrots or others are added, but you could say that the base is lettuce, tomatoes, onions and avocado with a lime cilantro dressing.
This tomato, avocado, onion and lettuce salad is one of those refreshing yummy salads that taste great and make you feel good. My kids love it and I think it is because of the lime dressing, they aren’t as enthusiastic about salads with vinegar based dressings, but they constantly ask for seconds when I make this garden salad, which makes me think that as long as I put lime juice on their food they will eat it.
Delicious and refreshing garden salad recipe made with lettuce, tomato, onion and avocado with a lime cilantro dressing
- 1 head of lettuce, washed and leaves cut or torn into large pieces
- 2 tomatoes, sliced or quartered
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- 1 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the dressing whisk the chopped cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper together.
- Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, onions and avocado in a large bowl.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve.
Add slices of grilled chicken or meat, or leftover salmon/shrimp to make this full entree style salad.