Mango, avocado and arugula salad

Mango, avocado, and arugula salad

En español

I love the colors in this salad; the mix of arugula, mango, avocado, red onions, cilantro, and red chili peppers make it look fun. I’ve always enjoyed salads and am fortunate that my kids also love salads, especially the younger one, on those days that he decides to be a picky eater he will still eat his salad and ask for more, for some odd reason he really likes the onions and can’t get enough of them, then he goes for the avocado, next the mango and finally the arugula.

Mango avocado and arugula salad

I used a red Fresno chili pepper for this salad to give it spice and color, but you can also use a milder pepper if you find chili peppers too hot, though once you remove the seeds and membranes they lose a lot of the heat, I debated using some crushed garlic instead, but I feel like I’ve been adding garlic to everything (seriously sometimes I feel like I can’t cook unless I use garlic, cumin or cilantro) so I’m taking a garlic break just for this salad. I like to use a little bit of creativity to keep salads interesting, a salad should be more than just a bowl of greens, I mean greens are good, but there are so many other additional ingredients and flavors that can be added to really make a salad stand out and have its own character.

Mango, avocado & arugula salad Mango avocado arugula salad

Mango, avocado and arugula salad

Mango, avocado and arugula salad

Arugula salad with mango, avocado and red onions tossed with spicy orange vinaigrette

Ingredients

• 6 cups arugula leaves
  • 1 mango, peeled and cut into long slices
  • 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
  • ½ red onion, sliced
  • 1 tbs lime juice
  • For the spicy orange vinaigrette
  • 1 tbs champagne vinegar
  • 4 tbs orange juice, about ½ orange
  • 2 tbs lime juice, about ½ lime
  • 4 tbs olive oil
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
  • 1 red chili or hot pepper, sliced
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Combine all the ingredients for the salad dressing in a jar, close it tight and shake until the ingredients are well mixed.
  2. Soak the onion slices in warm water with a dash of salt and 1 tbs lime juice for about 10 minutes.
  3. Rinse and drain the onions slices.
  4. Toss the arugula leaves with half of the vinaigrette.
  5. Add the avocado slices, mango slices and onion slices to the arugula mix, drizzle the remaining vinaigrette on top.
  6. Serve immediately.

Spicy orange vinaigrette Spicy orange vinaigrette

Mango slices Arugula with spicy orange vinaigrette

Arugula salad with mango and avocado

Comments

1. Made this today… As awesome!!,

2. Wow! I had a plastic tub of arugula that I wanted to make into a palatable salad, came upon your site and tried your recipe. I cannot believe the awesomeness of the flavors combined that way! So delish and easy to make! I had no cilantro or champagne vinegar so substituted parsley and apple cider vinegar – wonderful! I made my dressing using a whole organic orange and lime, blended in my Vitamix together with the vinegar and parsley and cumin. I added the oil afterwards in a bowl so I could wash the Vitamix much more easily – gotta cut time in the kitchen every way you can :) Thank you for your beautiful photos too! I am bookmarking this site! :)
    Love, the Healthnut

3. Camille L MacLean says:

This recipe is absolutely amazing. The flavors and colors work so beautifully together. I am absolutely addicted!

4. I made this salad last night and it was fantastic! I used spinach because that’s what I had on hand. It was tasty. I bet arugula would have made it 48493049 million times better. Thanks for the recipe!

5. Jill Ireland says:

I was looking for a fun recipe for an arugula salad and the picture of this salad is what drew me in..and that it included my favorite foods- cilantro, avocado and mango! I made it tonight for some friends and the only change I made was adding goat cheese to the salad…it was amazing! Thanks for sharing your talent!

6. Angelica says:

Oh lalalalala! I am so happy that I have found your website, I have passion for cooking, and I’m always in my kitchen having fun being creative and listening to my French music play list while cooking something differing every day. My husband is my number fan :) and today as he was watching me pulling all my ingridients out of the fridge I said to myself, “I have this beautiful mangoe and argula so I am going to mix them together to prepare a delicious summer argula-mango salad” but I still wasn’t sure about the other ingredients so I went in my search engine with just the words “argula salad.” To my delightful surprise this recipe came out with mango and red onions which is also another of my favor ingridients on any salad….Your salad is so genious and simple, it is now my number one favor for this summer and many to come. I added some steelhead fillet and immediately this simple salad became the main course of tonight’s dinner. Thank you!

7. Barbara C says:

Thank you! I’m on a self-imposed challenge to make a different salad each day of this week. This comes in handy!

8. Laylita! Amo tu página, constantemente intento preparar tus recetas, pero no se ven asi de deliciosos mis platillos y dudo que sepan igual que los tuyos.

Gracias por la ensaladas de verano :) acabas de salvar mi fin de semana. No tenía idea de que cocinar para el cumpleaños de mi hija el sábado y para el día del padre el domingo.

9. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.

10. Just stumbled across your site and am wowed by your recipes! I’m making this salad today and looking forward to making some of the ceviches!

11. Hi Laylita !
    I was looking on line for a recipe for arugula salad,and I was led to your beautiful creation.I am an artist,so I love the colors ! I can’t wait to make it ! Thank you !
    God bless you !
    Katy
    katysfoodnlove.blogspot

12. Made this salad tonight for my brother’s 25th birthday dinner-turned out delicious and everyone loved it! Thank you for a great recipe and spectacular photos. Look forward to trying out more of your exquisite concoctions and hope that you will add more amazing creations and gorgeous pictures (which are good enough to eat) to your site!

Many thanks,

~Rita

LA, CA

13. What do you think about grilling the mangos before adding them to the salad?! :0 This looks so yummy though, I can’t wait to try it.

14. Thank you, this was SO good and also beautiful to look at.

15. beautiful presentation, really tasty! thanks for sharing.

16. Rebecca says:

WOW!! I made this tonight for friends and everyone LOVED it!! It looks beautiful on the platter, too!

17. This is really good, particularly the dressing.

18. I just tried this today and it was delicious. I liked the contrast of the fruit and vegetable.

19. Amazing! How do you get such lovely photos? Yum. This would be perfect for mango season in MIA, where I live. I am going to try it!

20. Every single one of my favorite flavors in the world is in this salad. I see it as a big part of my verano! Gracias!

21. Probably one of the most beautiful salads I have ever seen. I would use pickled red onions here instead of fresh ones though.

22. linda shelley says:

Delish! A wonderful salad. I served it with cilantro-tequila grilled chicken (grilled by husband). Thank you for sharing so many wonderful recipes. This is the first of many I hope to try (and make my husband so very happy). Your pictures are beautiful. Thank you so much.

Happy cooking,
    Linda
    from NJ

23. This is absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks for the recipe. I’ll have to give it a try – even though I’m not a big mango fan – it’s just too pretty to pass up!

P.S. I love how you included “preparation” pictures as well – very cool.

24. Looks beautiful!

25. What a fresh and tasty looking salad…perfect for summertime!

26. Another gorgeous photo spread! This salad looks delicious. I bet the contrast of the mango and avocado are intense. I am in awe.