This is a quick recipe for sweet pastry dough to use for sweet empanadas; it is very similar to any pastry dough you would use for sweet tarts. You can adjust the amount of sugar based on your preference, also keep in the mind that more sugar a pastry dough has the more fragile it is, in addition I usually sprinkle sugar on top of the sweet empanadas so try to stay on the low end of the sugar quantity. You should get about 15-18 medium sized empanada discs or 25-30 small empanada discs.
3 cups all purpose flour
¼- ½ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 sticks butter or 16 tbs, cut into 16 pieces
2-4 tbs cold water
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor.
- Add the butter, eggs and water until a clumpy dough forms.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Form dough into 2 balls, flatten into thick discs, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a thin sheet and cut out round disc shapes for empanadas, use round molds or a small plate or cup as a mold, you can choose how large based on whether you want small or medium sized empanadas .
- Use the empanada discs immediately or store in the refrigerator or freezer to use later.