Come y bebe, which literally translates as eat and drink, is an Ecuadorian tropical fruit salad made with papaya, bananas, pineapple and orange juice, the fruit is cut in small pieces and usually has a good amount of orange juice so that you can actually drink it. This is a very refreshing drink or dessert for the summer.The most basic –and traditional – come y bebe that I’ve had consisted of just papaya, bananas and orange juice. I add the pineapple because that’s the way my mom made it and also because I love that combination of smooth papaya, sweet banana and crunchy tartness of the pineapple. You can also add other types of fruit if you like, mangos are a good option. I didn’t add any sugar or honey this time because the fruit was sweet enough and also I served it with honey whipped cream which gave it a little extra sweetness. To make the honey whipped cream I mixed 2 cups of heavy whipping cream with 4 tbs of honey. I love the flavor that the honey gives the whipped cream and it compliments fresh fruit just perfectly.
The papaya, pineapple and orange juice can be prepped a few hours in advance, but peel and dice the bananas right before serving to keep them browning.If you want a more drinkable version of this recipe you can increase the amount of orange juice, and I haven’t done this yet – I am very tempted to try it but I feel like I would be corrupting a childhood favorite recipe– you can make this an adult only fruit salad by adding some rum or cachaca (Brazilian sugar cane alcohol).
Come y bebe is an Ecuadorian fruit salad. This simple and refreshing tropical fruit salad is made with papaya, pineapple, banana and orange juice.
- 10 oranges, juiced, about 4 ½ cups of juice
- 1 large papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
- 6 bananas, peeled and diced
- Sugar or honey to taste
- Optional –honey whipped cream to serve on top
- Combine the diced papaya, pineapple and bananas in a large non-reactive bowl.
- Mix in the freshly squeezed orange juice, add sugar or honey if needed.
- Serve immediately or chill for about 30 minutes if you prefer it very cold (recommended on a hot day).