This is my recipe for avocado crostini or avocado bruschetta; it is made with toasted or grilled garlic bread, avocado, onions, hot peppers, lime, olive oil, and cilantro. Have I mentioned before how much I love avocados? I could easily add avocados to breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner. I would even trade dessert for a perfectly ripe avocado sprinkled with salt and lime juice. One of my favorite ways to add avocado deliciousness to most meals is by serving a chunky avocado salsa as a side or topping.
Avocado on toasted bread is one of my all-time favorite snacks. I usually just smear crushed avocado onto a piece a bread, add some salt and done. This time I used my avocado salsa as a bruschetta or crostini topping over grilled garlic bread. It was heaven! This avocado crostini is super easy to make and makes a great snack or appetizer. Both the grilled crostini and the avocado bruschetta salsa can be made ahead of time or right before serving.
Recipe for avocado crostini, a delicious avocado salsa bruschetta served over garlic crostini or toasted garlic bread slices.
- Slices of bread
- 1-2 garlic cloves – optional
- Olive oil for brushing – if needed
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 hot (or mild) peppers, seeded and deveined, finely diced – adjust to taste
- Juice from 2 limes
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Use an indoor grill (the Panini style ones are perfect) to grill or toast the bread. You can also use an outdoor grill, griddle pan or a frying pan (very lightly greased with butter or olive oil).
- Rub the grilled or toasted bread slices with the garlic clove, this is optional – but highly recommended if you’re a garlic lover.
- Save the crostini bread slices until ready to use.
- Sprinkle the onion slices with salt and rinse well with cold water.
- Combine the avocado, onion, hot peppers, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and salt in a bowl and mix well, chill until ready to use.
- Place a generous amount of the avocado bruschetta salsa on top of each piece of crostini or toast. Serve and enjoy!